Planning & Community Development Department
The department is charged with the functions of land use planning, code enforcement, community development, and rental assistance (Section 8). The department’s primary activities include the following:
- Processing applications for zoning changes, subdivision of property, permanent street closings, conditional use permits, and variances.
- Maintaining and updating the comprehensive plan.
- Reviewing building permits for conformance with zoning requirements.
- Interpretation and enforcement of the zoning and subdivision ordinances.
- Issuing building, sign, and electrical permits.
- Inspecting construction projects to ensure conformance with building codes and the zoning ordinance.
- Inspecting properties to ensure compliance with the property maintenance code.
- Community Development
- Rehabilitating owner-occupied homes for homeowners meeting income guidelines.
- Funding public improvements in neighborhoods meeting income guidelines (target neighborhoods).
- Enforcing property maintenance codes in target neighborhoods.
- Providing leadership development and empowerment training for residents of target neighborhoods.
Use the links on the left side of this page to learn more about each of the department’s functions. Each page includes contact information for the appropriate staff. Should you have a general inquiry about the department or have difficulty contacting another staff member you may contact the director.
Michael D. Miller, Director
Planning and Community Development Department
1700 Greenup Avenue, Room 208
P.O. Box 1839
Ashland, KY 41105-1839
Last Updated on Monday, 19 October 2009 15:58