Building Inspection

Building Inspection

The building inspection division is charged with the authority to issue all permit related to construction as well as the plan review and issuance of permits that are in conjunction with all types of construction. 

  • Issuing building, sign, and electrical permits.
  • Inspecting construction projects to ensure conformance with building codes and the zoning ordinance.
  • Inspecting properties to ensure compliance with the property maintenance code.
  • Enforcing property maintenance codes in target neighborhoods.
  • Providing leadership development and empowerment training for residents of target neighborhoods.
Permits are required for all residential and commercial construction, whether that construction consists of just a fence, pool or deck or any other type of residential or commercial construction.

Building permits are typically required for the following:

  • New buildings (200 sq ft and larger, buildings less than 200 sq feet require a Homeowner permit)
  • Additions
  • Renovations
  • Demolitions
  • Prefabricated structures
  • Temporary buildings
  • Electrical systems
  • Plumbing systems (Click link for inspector information)
  • HVAC systems (heating, ventilating, air conditioning) (Click link for inspector information)
  • Miscellaneous residential (fireplace, pools, decks, etc.)
  • Miscellaneous commercial (parking, health, food handling, etc.)
  • Grading
Building permit applications are available in our office in Room 208 of the City Building located at 1700 Greenup Avenue or you may print you application for the following projects here:

Commercial Permit/Plan Review Application - Please refer all commercial projects to the Kentucky Department of Housing, Buildings and Construction for review and inspection. Information regarding submittal can be found at
Residential One and Two family- projects up to and including construction of one/two family residential structures.
Homeowner Permit Application - Small projects that often are completed by the homeowner. (Sheds-less than 200 sq ft., fence, carport, above ground swimming pools, decks less than 200 sq. feet and not more than 30 inches above grade, etc.)
Sign Permit Application - All signs including, but not limited to, freestanding, wall mounted and canopy signs require a sign permit.

Contractors may create an account and check the status of a building permit or request building inspections through our Online Action Center 24 hours a day.

Copies of the 2018 Kentucky Building Code and 2018 Kentucky Residential Codes are available for download from the Kentucky Department of Housing, Buildings and Construction at